Cirencester U3A
{short description of image}
Home
Contact Us
Groups
Meetings Locations
Newsletter
Recent News
Events Diary
Membership
Constitution
AGM Documents
Policies
Town History
Useful Links

Groups...
Art
Astronomy
Board Games
Bridge
Computer Users
Country Dancing
Creative Crafts
Cycling
Earth Sciences
Family History
French Conversation
Gardening Group
German
Golf
History
Internet Cafe
Italian
Latin
Literature Group
Ma Jong
Music Group
Musical Cinema
Nostalgia and Film
Petanque
Play Reading 1
Play Reading 2
Poetry Reading
Quilting
Radio
Rail Buffers
Recorder Group
Scandinavian Group
Science and Technology
Singing
Spanish
Supper Group
Table Tennis
Tai-Chi
Theatre Group
Ukulele
Walking Group
Walking Netball
Writing for Fun
Yoga

Groups Wish List



membership membership membership

AGM Documents

Minutes of the 26th Annual General Meeting held on Tuesday 15th May 2018 at 2:15 AM at the Ashcroft Centre, Ashcroft Road, Cirencester.

1. Apologies
Apologies for absence were received from Jan Kidman, Maureen and Peter Burrows.

2. Minutes of the 25th AGM held on 16th May 2016
The Minutes of the 25th AGM had been distributed before the meeting and available at the meeting in hard copy. It was proposed by Penny Wreford, seconded by Brian Wells, that they should be accepted as a true record and this was accepted by a unanimous show of hands.

3. Matters arising
- There were no matters arising.

4. Trustee’s Report (summary – for full report, see below).
Liz Dancer (Chairman) presented the report on behalf of the Trustees - Rachel Ward, Vice Chairman; Alex Nisbet, Treasurer; Tony Natt, Business Secretary; Richard Green, Membership Secretary; Jan Kidman, Groups’ Co-ordinator and Kay Nisbet, Safeguarding. During the year, the Committee met on 6 occasions and attended two Cotswold Link meetings. Two trustees have attended National Office workshops regarding Safeguarding, Equalities, Data Protection and Insurance. We have also ensured a presence at community meetings including the newly developed Cirencester Hub.

Membership is currently around 750. Richard Green has introduced a new administration system called Beacon and this will be rolled out more fully during 2018. All of the trustees and the membership in general are grateful for the work which Richard has done in completing this task. Now stepping down as Membership Secretary, Richard will continue in the role of Beacon Systems’ Administrator.

Groups and Events: we currently have 51 groups, having lost five groups due to lack of someone coming forward to lead the groups but gaining ten new groups. In 2017 Cirencester Walking Group joined with a Kent U3A Walking Group for a very enjoyable few days. There is a ‘wish list’ of activities which will turn into Groups during 2018. Jane Davis and Penny Wreford continue to offer their excellent programmes of theatre and educational visits and Kay Nisbet has organised a further First Aid Training Day with the services of the British Red Cross.

The Internet Café hosts a Community Speaker on the third Monday of every month including the Community Police, Fire Service, Age UK, SSAFA and Gloucestershire sensory services. Also there is an Afternoon Tea on the first Monday of the month and a Quiz on the fourth Monday of the month. Alex Nisbet continues to give his help to those members needing IT support.

The Cirencester U3A Radio programme continues to produce a monthly hour long show which is delivered via Corinium Radio on the Internet. The programme can be accessed using a button on the Home Page of our web page. In 2017, several tutors were interviewed at the Summer School at the Royal Agricultural University. National Office now deliver the recordings through the National website.

Jan Kidman continues to support Group Co-ordinators by holding twice yearly meetings to share information and update Group Co-ordinators as well as receiving their feedback on problems and other issues.

General Meetings have continued on the third Tuesday of every month and are always well attended with more than 90 members per meeting. There have been a wide range of topics organised by Judy Lloyd as Programme Secretary. Thanks are due to all those who help these meetings run smoothly.

Newsletter continues to be offered 10 times a year, edited by Maureen Folliard and Margo Wallis. In the two months when this is absent, an e-mailed News Sheet is sent with hard copies available at the General Meeting. The Newsletter is our main form of communication with all of our members and increasingly Members receive it by e-mail which represents a huge financial saving to the trustees. Thank you to those unsung heroes who collect hard copies of the Newsletter and hand deliver an average of 45 to their neighbours who have no email address.

The Future - the Treasurer’s Report will demonstrate that our finances are in very good shape. At the last AGM we asked for the approval of the membership to raise our Membership Fee from £10 to £12 but this has not been found to be necessary.

The trustees face some challenging issues and need to create some clear policies in the year ahead on Data Protection, Safeguarding, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.

We are in a very comfortable position at the moment but, as has been seen in the loss of some popular groups we need to build for succession and to encourage all members of U3A to reach out to new people to the area.

5. Treasurer’s Report and Adoption of Accounts
A summary of the financial accounts for FY17/18 was presented to the members by the Treasurer, Alex Nisbet, having been examined and cleared by our Examiner of Accounts, Peter Jay. No comments were raised on the presented accounts. The adoption the Annual Accounts was proposed by Judy Lloyd, seconded by Malcolm Lewis, and this was approved by a unanimous show of hands.

6. Election of Principal Officers
Chairman: Tony Natt, proposed by Peter Berry and seconded by Linda Bullock. Vice Chair (Equalities and Safeguarding): Rachel Ward, proposed by Bonnie Green, seconded by Paul Nash. Vice Chair (Groups Co-ordinator): Jan Kidman, proposed by Chris Rodgers, seconded by Maureen Roberts. Treasurer: Alex Nisbet, proposed by Mary MacDonald, seconded by Linda Tiffany. Business Secretary: Andrew Williams, proposed by Bridget Ingold, seconded by Brian Robin Lloyd. All of the above were individually elected by a unanimous show of hands.

7. Election of Other Committee Members
Membership Secretary: Ian Harvey, proposed by Margo Wallis, seconded by Linda Waters, was elected by a unanimous show of hands.

8. Appointment of Examiner of Accounts
Geoff Dennis of Fairford U3A had agreed to act as Examiner of Accounts and was proposed by Peter Jay, seconded by Cate Luck. This appointment was agreed by a unanimous show of hands

9. Change of Constitution
Following discussions between U3A National Office and the Charities Commission, it was agreed that the Object Clause for U3As needed to change to reflect more accurately the objective of a U3A. The proposed new Object Clause was shown to all members in comparison with the old clause, and adoption of the new one was proposed by Jackie Natt and seconded by Pauline Phillips. The proposal was accepted unanimously and will be incorporated into our Constitution.

10. Data Protection
The impact of the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), to be introduced legally from May 25th 2018, was explained, and the members informed that new U3A Data Protection and Privacy policies would be introduced in the near future, together with the necessary requests for consent from members about the use of this data.

11. Any Other Business
No requests had been received from the Membership for other issues to be raised.

Date and place of next AGM The 27th AGM would be held on Tuesday 21st May 2019 at 2.15pm at the Ashcroft Centre, Cirencester.

The meeting closed at 14.45.




Trustees Report 2017-2018

Trustees: Liz Dancer, Chairman; Rachel Ward, Vice Chairman; Alex Nisbet, Treasurer; Tony Natt, Business Secretary; Richard Green, Membership Secretary; Jan Kidman, Groups’ Co-ordinator and Kay Nisbet with responsibilities for equalities and safeguarding. This year Liz Dancer will step down as Chairman and Richard Green will relinquish his role after 3 years. Kay Nisbet will also step down. We have been fortunate in receiving nominations for the posts of Chairman, Membership Secretary and Business Secretary. Rachel Ward will retain the role of Vice Chairman with the specific brief of equalities and safeguarding. This leaves us in the happy position of a fully functioning Committee of trustees for the next year, though there are still places available for new people as Committee Members.

During the year members of the Committee, met on 6 occasions and attended two Cotswold Link meetings in Northleach and Droitwich. Recently two trustees attended study days organised by National Office in Leatherhead and Birmingham to learn more about imminent Legal issues such as Safeguarding, Data Protection and Insurance. We have also ensured a presence at community meetings including the newly developed Cirencester Hub.

Membership
As of the end of March 2018, Cirencester U3A had 755 members and this number has already grown in the first month of the new financial year. During the year Richard Green has had the considerable task of migrating our data onto a new system, Beacon. This has been a very considerable task in setting up and there is still work to be done. From the members point of view, the introduction of Membership Numbers means that they can pay their subscriptions via bank transfers and in the future use an on-line function to do so. Already this has been taken up by many members

Although stepping down as Membership Secretary, Richard will continue in the role of Systems’ Administrator until the task of installing all of the functions of Beacon is completed. All of the trustees and the membership in general are grateful for the work which Richard has done in completing this task.

Groups and Events
There has not only been an increase in the numbers of members but also an increase in the variety of activities. We currently have 51 groups with more coming on line. In the last year we lost five groups, Active Fingers, Canasta, Indoor Kurling, Painting and History of Art. Sadly, in three of these cases it was not lack of membership which lead to their closing but lack of someone coming forward to lead the group. We hope that this may be redressed in the coming months. Ten new groups have been formed. We now have three Latin groups, Spanish Improvers and German Conversation for the linguists, a Nostalgia Film Group, and a Yukele group for the music lovers and four active groups - Walking Netball, Yoga, Table Tennis, and a second petanque group.

In 2016 the Walking Group were approached by a U3A in Kent to provide expertise for a short walking holiday in the Cirencester area. This joint exercise was a huge success and in 2017 Cirencester Walking Group went Kent for a very enjoyable few days.

Jan Kidman holds a ‘wish list’ of activities which members would like to become involved with. These include wine tasting, Spanish for beginners, French Improvers and philosophy. If any members feel that they can begin these or any other groups, please contact Jan Kidman. As always, if we want something we should not wait for others but we should get involved ourselves.

Jane Davis and Penny Wreford continue to offer their excellent programmes of theatre and educational visits. Almost every month one or other of these activities is available. We are extremely grateful for the continued work of these members and our group leaders.

We have also continued to developments in ‘one-off’ events. Kay Nisbet has organised a further First Aid Training Day with the services of the British Red Cross and the Internet Café hosts a Community Speaker on the third Monday of every month. There have been a range of these informal talks from the Community Police, Fire Service, Age UK, SSAFA and Gloucestershire sensory services. There are plans for all of these activities to be continued in 2018-19. Also at the Internet Café we have introduced Afternoon Tea on the first Monday of the month and a Quiz on the fourth Monday of the month. Alex Nisbet continues to give his help to those members needing IT support.

The Cirencester U3A Radio programme continues to produce a monthly hour long show which is delivered via Corinium Radio on the Internet. The programme showcases the talents and expertise of our members and also the opportunity to ‘catch up’ if you have missed a General Meeting, as many of our Speakers have agreed to be interviewed. The programme can be accessed at any time using a simple button on the Home Page of the Cirencester U3A web page. In 2017 several members of the group went to the Summer School at the Royal Agricultural University and interviewed the tutors and supported one of the Summer School courses on Writing for the Radio. National Office was so impressed by what we do that they asked us to submit our recordings so that they could deliver them through the National website.

Jan Kidman continues to support Group Co-ordinators by holding twice yearly meetings to share information and update Group Co-ordinators as well as receiving their feedback on problems and other issues.

From time to time we are asked by other groups in the community to give our support. Last year a band of members volunteered to take a slot in the very successful Abbey 900 Lego build. Volunteer drivers and enrollers also attended the Summer School.

General Meetings
These have continued on the third Tuesday of every month. These meetings are always well attended with more than 90 members per meeting and there have been a wide range of topics. Judy Lloyd took over the role of Programme Secretary in late 2016 and has been in charge ever since. Judy has provided us with an excellent eclectic range of Speakers. General Meetings run smoothly due to the dedication of people who arrive early to set out tables, are present to register people as they arrive, ensure that tea and biscuits are available for those on tea rota duty, and organise the technical equipment required by our speakers and clear away at the end. Nothing happens by magic and as we all get that bit older we are happy for others to volunteer their services.

Newsletter
The Newsletter continues to be offered 10 times a year, edited by Maureen Folliard and Margo Wallis. In the two months when this is absent, an e-mailed News Sheet is sent with hard copies available at the General Meeting. The Newsletter is our main form of communication with all of our members and the contributions from Group Leaders are informative. Increasingly Members tend to receive their Newsletter by e-mail which represents a huge financial saving to the trustees. It is also a benefit to those receiving it in this way because they receive notification of ‘one off’ events earlier. We recognise that not all of our members can receive the Newsletter by e-mail and so are very appreciative of those Members who in the spirit of self- help, collect the hard copies of the Newsletter and hand deliver them to their neighbours. This has meant that we have reduced the number posted from more than 90 copies to approximately 45 copies. Thank you to those unsung heroes who help in this way.

The Future The Treasurer’s Report will demonstrate that our finances are in very good shape. At the last AGM we asked for the approval of the membership to raise our Membership Fee from £10 to £12 – if necessary. I am pleased to report that due to an increase in membership, gift aid, charitable donations from Riviera Travel and some prudent house-keeping, we do not forsee any need to raise the membership fee and are fully able to absorb the fees which we pay to National Office for the operating of Beacon.

The trustees face some challenging legal issues in the year ahead, as do all charities. As a result of changes in the law which come into effect in May 2018, we have to observe new practices with regard to Data Protection. With regard to the issue of safeguarding we need to clarify and publish our policy on it. We have to create clear policies on the issues of equality, diversity and inclusion. The creation and publishing of these policies is the responsibility of the Trustees but Group Leaders and Members will have the responsibility to ensure that they are carried out. Insurance is another thorny issue which the trustees must grasp.

With increasing numbers of people coming into Cirencester to purchase Retirement properties etc, Cirencester U3A looks to have a busy and expanding future with challenges both to the Trustees and group leaders. We can only survive by welcoming new members and meeting the needs of the 21st Century. We are in a very comfortable position at the moment but, as has been seen in the loss of some popular groups we need to build for succession and to encourage all members of U3A to reach out to new people to the area




[Home] [Contact Us] [Groups] [Newsletter] [Recent News] [Events Diary] [Membership] [Town History] [Useful Links]